The Arenal Volcano and Tabacon Hot Springs tour offers a good mix of culture, adventure and relaxation while visiting one of the most popular parts of the country. On this one day outing, you will visit an artisan community renowned for its excellent handcrafted hardwood furniture, continue on through beautiful countryside until you reach the town of La Fortuna where you will stop for lunch under the towering Arenal Volcano. Afterward, you’ll relax in the warmth of the waters of one of the most romantic hot springs in the world, naturally surrounded by lush rain forest at the famous Tabacon Hot Springs.
Your designer day will begin when you are picked up from your hotel in comfortable air-conditioned vans and driven towards La Fortuna. Along the way, you will stop to see the town of Sarchi, which is famous for its beautiful and colorfully painted oxcarts and oxcart wheels, a symbol of national pride. You’ll see artists at work crafting furniture made from sustainable hardwoods with intricate carvings. This is a good place to find a meaningful souvenir to take home with you. Up next, La Fortuna!
From Sarchi you’ll continue through the mountains, passing small pueblos with working farms and ranches until arriving in La Fortuna, located at the base of Arenal Volcano. A tourist hotspot for years, La Fortuna is the epicenter for rainforest related activities and a mecca for hot springs enthusiasts reveling in the geothermic waters created by the heat of the volcano's underground magma.
Your guide will take you to a local restaurant where you will have a spectacular view of the Volcano as you enjoy a typical Costa Rican style mid-day meal. This is a combination of traditional foods sure to satisfy your appetite. On a clear day, you will be able to take amazing photographs of the perfectly symmetrical conical shape and lava fields.
After lunch and many photo opportunities, you’ll head over to immerse yourself in the inviting waters of Tabacon Hot Springs. Tabacon was elegantly designed around a series of natural hot spring grottos found along the river flowing from the volcano. In this intimate forest setting, sometimes caught in a cloud-like mist floating over the water, you’ll listen to mini cascading waterfalls amid exotic jungle sounds while soaking in serenity.
When you arrive at the springs, your guide will be dropping you off so you can leisurely enjoy your time luxuriating in the waters, as well as to have time to change clothes and enjoy a delicious gourmet dinner overlooking the river. Changing rooms are provided and, if you like, drinks can be purchased. You and your guide will set a predetermined time to be picked up for your return trip back to your hotel.
This tour includes a bilingual guide, hot springs entrance fee, lunch, dinner, and transportation from your lodging in Alajuela or San Jose. One way transportation usually takes from 2.5 to 3.5 hours each way but depends on traffic conditions especially in San Jose. The combined time for complete tour and round trip transportation is typically between 9 and 12 hours.
Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes, plus bring a swimsuit, towel, and a change of clothes for dinner and the ride home. You’ll most likely want to have your camera, binoculars, sun block, bug repellent, and extra spending money for drinks and souvenirs if you wish to purchase any. This all-inclusive day tour will give you a wonderful opportunity to discover some of the many magical moments native to Costa Rica!
What to Bring
Change Of Clothing
Location and Availability
The Arenal Volcano and Tabacon Hot Springs is available from Alajuela, Alajuela suburbs, Escazu, Heredia, and San Jose
Arenal Volcano and Tabacon Hot Springs: Cancellation Policy
Reservation and cancellation policies
1. Given that Expediciones Tropicales manages a series of tours that are operated every day, reservations for These can be carried out without previous time condition, except in those cases in which a minimum of people to operate, a situation that would be reported immediately.
2. To guarantee these reservations, you are requested to send the fax or email with all the information of the passenger and the corresponding prepayment, unless the booking company has credit with our company.
3. Any special indication regarding the passenger that is sent to us must be in writing in the mail or fax of corresponding reservation. (Examples: Date changes, hotel changes, specifications on the
passenger feeding etc ...)
4. The agency that makes a reservation must always require a written confirmation of it as a guarantee from the service to our reservations department.
5. If on occasion it is indicated that Tropical Expeditions must charge the client, in case of "no show" the The agency that makes the reservation assumes full responsibility forcing itself to pay the normal rate of service.
6. All cancellation of regular tours must be made more than 24 hours in advance at the time of departure of the tour, in writing, so that no surcharge is applied.
7. Any tour cancellation in which lodging services are required, the charge or fine will be conditioned by the cancellation policies of the respective hotel.
8. From the moment that Tropical Expeditions confirm a reservation, it is responsible for operating said service. Consequently, any cancellation of a tour with less than 24 hours will have a 100% charge
9. Notwithstanding the previous point, if by force majeure the passenger needs to cancel his reservation with a anticipation of less than 24 hours, what could be allowed is a change of service date, as long as be a regular tour.
10. Understand by regular tours all those one day tour services operated by Expeditions Tropical.
11. In case of NO SHOW, the service will be billed at the normal rate.
3 and up
Latitude: N 10°29'17.03". Longitude: W 85°16'41.05"
Overall 96.0% (5 Guest Ratings)
Water at the hot pools was not hot enough for my desirability. Nice and beautiful place though and I understand the health concerns. Guides were very helpful. Boat ride was pleasant